Monday 30 May 2011

Ireland Inspires (1999-2006)


MIDNIGHT UNDER FULL MOON


Midnight under Full Moon
I stood in silence, alone
Darkness wrapped around me
A cloak woven of mystery
That night

That night I was stone
A ghost from the future
Ancient ones drew near
The ever living spirits…
That night


That night
Out from dark clouds
Shone a swathe of light
Glimmering on bronze cauldron
Water filled, pure, energised
That night


That night
Whispered chants sang
In forgotten language,
a Tribute Echoed
over stone and plain
That night


That night arms raised in unison
Their athames one thousand
Carved a matrix
To the Mother of Creation.
That night
©MRL 29 .12. 99





Contrary to Belief.


With new spiritist s

I am greatly confused

by their

loud thoughts

long words

and

third party

quotations!

For

like a spinning coin

one cannot see

their centre

for the edge!


© MRL 1984
amended 2005



You & Me

You and me shall we
Shall we find the place
Where goodness lies ?

On the horizon over there
From where the bird flies

Look!


©MRL 20. 01. 2000





MAIDEN WILL YOU DANCE?

Maiden will you dance
Dance, dance, dance with me
Circle right circle left
Intertwine, dance with me
Make the circle thine

Sense the rhythms wildly
Dance, dance, dance with me
From your heart great joy bring
Maiden will you dance
Dance with love sing with me

Maiden will you dance
Dance with me a circle
Raise the power of ecstasy
Dance,dance, dance with me
Feel the beat flowing through

Maiden will you dance
Sing of the Great Goddess
Lady of the dance
Sun, Moon and Planets too
Creator-ix of me and you
Dance, dance, dance with me.

©MRL 02. 01. 2000



THEY TELL ME…

They tell me I must change, change my ways
And conform to their understanding
They tell me that I will be free.
To unlock a door – you need a key!
I did that before and lost…..Me.


I like the richness of poverty
And the smell of FREEDOM
I crave the taste of inner joy.
What is it that they offer me?
I don’t understand ?…(I do)


I’m not a prisoner of society
To work from nine till six
I have the ability to pick and chose
The expressive temperament is my own.
I walked their road before….LOST.



Lost my identity, lived a lie
For a mortgage and a marriage
And danced every day to their tune.
I escaped clause and contract.
Re-discovered me as a plural identity



Not schizophrenic or identifiably mad
Just different, that’s all…..
They look at me and don’t see
The secrets that inhabit this body
Nor the Bloom, that buds in my soul.


©MRL 03. 01. 2000





My Eyes

My eyes have seen a jewel
Whose radiance red gold
Enflames my mind alive
Filling the heart with love
And my being rejoices!

©MRL 04. 01. 2001




‘For all the ladies that I have loved
and all the others that I never met..’

IF I WAS ….

If I was wind
My gentle breath
Would linger caress
Shoulders to finger tips.

If I was rain, droplets
Would cascade gleaming
Diamonds brighter than light
That shines from your eyes.

If I was snow, flakes
As Rose petals, perfumed
By dawns early dew
Would cling tenderly on you.

If I was Sun, on you
No shadows would play
Only joy fun lights
and
Smiling beams all day.

©MRL 07. 01. 2000





HELLO ! ….said the ‘Stars’.

“Hello” said the stars
as she passed from above
Spiraling earthwards,
Brilliant, light as a dove.

She looks like Oliver
So they say
With the Lawrence’s long fingers.
All this on her first day!

With cousins all around
Their big faces peering down
(a pen is poised to record)
Lia’s every bill and coo!

Quietly, we old one’s wonder
What gifts has she brought
What will she do….?
Artist or Healer or very dis-similar

Her path she has chosen
With individual right
Lies a secret- well hidden
Held in her heart so tight.

As only a child of the ninth day
Of the first month
Will do!

©MRL 10. 01. 2000



Heron


Black bog pools stare, glassily
As dumb dark eyes to ashen sky.

Frozen fronds droop down in death
Prehistoric man long infused.

As chalk dust lies in clay form
Under grazed barrow hill.

And brittle grass crunches as glass
Underfoot as Heron pecks hungrily.

The glazed green pond on
Skeletal sinewy sticks, long.

© MRL 17. 01. 2000



An Epitaph for Tom Coffey
Jan 3rd


The wild winds of Winter
Blew strong all day
To take an old one home.

My neighbour,Tom Coffey.

All day they came,his friends

In cars of every class
To visit those that grieve
The Wife and The Son.

Up agin the Slieve Bloom
He will lie with his kin.
A man of the land, a farmer.

Lean, skin weathered by wind,
polished smooth
His head a shock of white locks.

With features chiselled like the land
His that borders The Barrow
Has gone to plough.

A field of bright stars!

© MRL 08. 01. 2000



Memories

From body filled chair
Memories misted seep
Into candle lit room
Slow shaping shadows
In half light dance
and glide the night away.

©MRL 02. 02. 2000




DARK MOON

Magic wove its way
Around nine grey stones
Faerie light danced
As mortal man
Stood entranced
Embracing
The Great Goddess
on a
Dark Moon night

MRL 27. 10. 2000




A WINTER OFFERING.

Winter’s sharp passion sings

Thro’ black brittle thorn limbs

Over old Áine’s fertile plains

Where summer ferns once grew

Lush: in valleys - hidden places

Deep where springs weep.

Eriu’s blood flows fresh, new

birthing stone frosted icicles

to glint in watery sunlight,

as the rapier
swords of youth.

©MRL 26. 12. 2001




MY DRUID PLEA.

Teach me Goddess – God to be Free
TO
Hear the truth
See the truth
Know the truth
Speak the truth
Understand the truth
Defend the truth


Teach me Goddess – God to be Free
TO
Know love
Give love
See love
Speak love
Hear love
Understand love
Defend love


Teach me Goddess – God to be free
To be Sincere.


©MRL 29. 12. 2002





SOME CALL HER MOTHER.


Some call her Mother. The Mistress of this land

Her body hidden haunts wild places for man

Whose calloused raw hands worked nippled

Cairns to stand proud on mountains

Hunted, fought bloodily among heathered tresses

Ploughed deeply her fertile plains to feed

Warrior lords, foreign, crippled with greed.

In Her a sea smooth cave, that once sheltered Fintan.

Crabs with dead mens fingers, sought a womb watery grave.

To rebirth rebellion - Freedom and the marrow

Of Her Favour!


©MRL 11. 09. 2003




The East Wind


O cruel are the days of an Easterly wind
to blow on door and take heat from hearth.
Hated like an English plague, an over lord from history
no mirth, no joy, no wheat all gone to Save Your Majesty.


Safe are we when West wind blows Atlantic freshness,
that delightfully dances, disinfects with merry airs
A breeze tuneful and warm; strong grows the harvest
for I gladly await a plentiful Lughnasadh to celebrate.


Rich berries plump and ripe, golden barley growing tall
the song of a thresher amid the corn, a maidens gift to all.
Apples for the first cider an amber liquid frothing forth fills
Tankards, that raise high to toast The Goddess Mother's will.

©MRL 01-07-04


Telepathy

Out there minds walk
as tall as buildings
Sinuously connected
their vibrant filaments
pluck the forehead

From out there
a tweak, a vibration
Beyond our physical
manifests a subtle signal
tuned from a spirit sister

Pulses a sub rosa magneton
an essence sublime
of the Goddess
that
iradicates thought!


©MRL18 - 02 - 2004





AWE.

O Slender goddess,O Sylph,
O Green Woman!
Living in a world of verdant veils;
You contain all mystery of life.

Like Moon your sister, together
Dressed in feathery dark dreams
that tease, tempt and torment
Passionate fevers in men.

No touch, taste, sweetness
spice or aroma can measure
Maintain or acclaim the qualities
Of your Deep Sisterhood.

Jewels of the night sky twinned
In pale countenance, thy beauty
Pervades all mental stability
to scream your secret name.

Dazzled is the brain,
muted the mind
silent the voice
all is
Awe!


MRL © 2004




There be times.....


that I would be glad to be a hermit in some distant land,
away from all the troubled people.
I'd sit there in splendid isolation believing in my simple way,
that all the world were perfect in being happy like me.

You see I don't ask for much as I gaze up at the stars
and they being very distant,. Only twinkle back at me!
So tiz easy to believe that all is love and harmony
and ever more will be, since Venus passed in front of Sun.

So from damp little Laois I wish thee,
gentle warm winds and peace,
may the birds sing
and the stars twinkle to you too!

©Meflyn R Llwyd 17 June 2004





DILEMMA.

Alone with thoughts
glides solitary bird
in empty skies.

sour songs over wires
telegraphs mutely
crow clacking cawk.

a head wind sculpted
mountain face abrupt
interrupts flight.

Ascend to high sky
eternal etheric blue
chance select choose.

Dilemma!

© MRL 07 -12 -04




WINTER 2004


At a distance

past the window
lie silent fields

barely green

between hedges

and further stands

of bristled brooms

upturned.

Ghostly

new trees birth

in spectral mist

grey smokey

sentinels soft

drift amid old

summer’s growth.



© MRL 12 -12 - 04




ICE MOON

Large ice April cool Moon hangs over
Slieve Bloom hills

Illumines rider in long black dress
with white round Roman collar

and crucifix in hand out thrust
Hurries through foothills fast

Towards his eternal pit
Condemned!

Forever lost knowing not Love
nor warmth, nor pagan dance
of
Stag and Hind at old Bealtaine
whose rhythm's turn
A Great Wheel!

©MRL Oct 2005





FEBRUARY


Crows
strong
in wind
fly low
over fresh
harrowed
ground
February's
sharp
sun
glows
rich
on cool
hallowed
earth

Contrast

Fallow
field
where
old velvet
slippers
dance
silver
slivered
on a
green
minuet
of
Creation.
© MRL 25 -10- 05



My Lady

Beyond the stars she stood
Dressed in midnight blue
My lady .......a Madonna
Slight, stooped as in prayer
With half a turn glanced down
and
in
That moment gave life
Love

Later, I saw her form
Dream like, not clear
My lady ... a madonna
In a maternal hue,
Full of expectant life
and bright were the stars
Amid heavens dark blue.

©MRL 1981

My Lady (ii)

Still and clearer now, still
My lady.......I see her
A diadem wholly of virtue
and from her brow pours
Kissed colours as sun-fires
and
Dressed is My Lady
In purest light.

© MRL 2005




O’ Sweetness


Pain
as exquisite
passion
Bludgeons
the mind
Relentlessly

Anticipation
of expectation
Teases
awaits
Pleasure

Finger nail
feathers
nipples
warms
delight

Body
trembles
writhes
cords
tighten
in silence

Gasp!
for eyes
water
from
wondrous
pain
of cane

O' Sweetness
I Am
Blessed
again
and again
Again!



©MRL 19. 06. 05








7 comments:

  1. So many images flow from your words - beautiful.
    "Some Call Her Mother" - powerful & moving - my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was inspired by the landscape and history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two of my favourites (thus far!) are They Tell Me and Epitaph for Tom Coffey particularly the last lines:
    With features chiselled like the land
    His that borders The Barrow
    Has gone to plough.

    A field of bright stars!

    Blessings of more to flow from your pen..
    LN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Lady North,
    Please see my comment in the side bar ' I am cured now ' I think the self inflicted therapy has done the trick however, one never knows I might have a relapse yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ita said...

    I've got your poems on my ipod..great to be able to dip in and out especially on 'shuffle' you can get pleasantly surprised or soothed...ya just never know what's coming. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a strong interest in the visceral and somatic nature of words and poetry and sweetness is an ode to emmotion as if spoken through the words it speaks aloud to me thanks Ann xx

    ReplyDelete